Search

BMW Reluctor Ring Replacement

537 Total Thread Views

KodyWallice

Pro Member
Reaction Score
It appears that my replacement ABS speed sensor has failed. I thought it was the actual part at fault, but after pulling it off the car, I realized that the tip of it was chewed up from making contact with the axle reluctor ring. I wondered how these things work. Now I know.

I did a bit of reading on why the sensor would make contact with the reluctor ring and it seems like rust and corrosion would do it. When the axle becomes corroded, it expands the reluctor ring and then the contact is made with the sensor. After learning this, I figured I'd pull the axle out and change the ring. Oh no, not so easy. If the axle is corroded, removing the axle and then removing the corrosion isn't a guarantee that the surface will be perfectly smooth. Plus, getting the reluctor ring back on is a real pain. It's probably a better idea to simply change the entire axle. They only cost between $60 and $200 for aftermarket.

I read a few posts on this topic. I'll link to them below. I also watched a very telling video. I'll embed that below as well.

Wheel Speed Sensor - Physical Wear - https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/wheel-speed-sensor-physical-wear.1114193/

What a shame because the reluctor ring only costs about $10. Most of the expense is in the labor. Here's the video:

ABS Reluctor Ring Replacement - How To - BMW 3 Series

I'll buy the front left cv axle and replace it. I'll use this post to document the steps.

Click Here To Start Advertising Your For Sale Ads
Back