Search

Why is One Car Tire Tread Wearing Only On the Inside and Outside?

1K Total Thread Views | 1 Reply | Jump to Last Post (Latest Reply by KodyWallice · Posted: )

CampFireJack

Pro Member
Reaction Score
Two years ago, I bought brand new 50,000 mile tires and had them installed on my car. The reason I did this was because I failed my yearly car inspection in my state. My old tires were too worn out. The tread was low. I've only put about 10,000 miles on the new tires and all of them still look pretty new, except for one. The one that's wearing is on the passenger side front and the tread that looks worn is only on the inside and the outside, pretty much equally.

My question is, why did this happen to only one tire? What's causing it?

Hey - This sounds like exactly what I had happen to me. I just rotated my tires a few days ago and took pictures of the process. I always do. My front passenger side tire was wearing on the inside and the outside and after looking around on some automotive forums for a while, I discovered that low tire air pressure is causing the wearing. If the pressure is too high, the center of the tread will wear, but if it's too low, the center tread will stay pretty good, but the outside tread will wear away. At first, I thought my front end was out of alignment, but I don't think that's the case. I'm still going to get my car aligned, but that's just because I haven't done that in 10 years. If it was really out of alignment, I think just one side of both front tires would show wear.

My tires probably have around 15,000 miles on them now. They're all in really good shape, but that one tire doesn't look as good as it should. It actually gets me pretty angry because they're so new. The other day, I checked the air pressure in my tires and all of them were about eight pounds over inflated. That's because I filled them up when it was very cold out and now that the air is warmer, it's expanding inside the tires. I let some air out, but I'll need to keep an eye on them more than I have. If you have any questions, please ask me. I will help if I can.

Here are some pictures of my very dirty car and I was swapping the front tires with each other. I had yet to rotate them. Look closely at the outside tread in a few of the photos. I took some comparison shots. One of the tires still had good tread on it and one doesn't. Ticks me off. I wonder if this is covered under warranty.

Attachments

• car-jack-under-car.jpg
    car-jack-under-car.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 5
  • comparing-tread-on-car-tires.jpg
    comparing-tread-on-car-tires.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 4
  • good-tread-car-tire.jpg
    good-tread-car-tire.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 5
  • semi-new-car-tire-tread.jpg
    semi-new-car-tire-tread.jpg